- Advance the field of planetary sciences (which includes, but is not limited to: planetary geology, geophysics, geochemistry, meteoritics, and astrobiology) in Canada.
- Encourage collaboration between earth and planetary scientists in order to maximize Canadian and international expertise in relevant fields.
- Establish a forum and form strategic partnerships between universities, museums, industry, and government.
- Attract and train students in the fields of earth and planetary sciences in Canada.
- Ensure representation in the national and international sphere on matters concerning planetary sciences, including discussions with funding agencies.
- Provide leadership for the Canadian planetary sciences community by running short courses, fieldtrips, workshops, and summer schools.